For precise speed control in rolling mills the main drives of the roll stands and the coilers need to be equipped with an encoder. In addition, it is often necessary to provide increased protection for personnel during special operating modes, such as: For this application Johannes Hübner Giessen has been working with Motor OEMs for many decades to provide complete solution ie. Electrical and mechanical components.
Hot Rolling Mill / Screw downs: Replacing of old resolver technology
- Assembly of hollow shaft absolute encoder ASSH 60 K-16 / 50P (SSI interface)
- Improved final quality of the rolled material due to increased thickness accuracy
- Direct assembly to the screw down spindle
Before: The old resolver transducer
The customer needed to replace the old resolver technology to improve the thickness control precision and thereby, the material quality. For this purpose they attempted a solution using a linear transducer, which did not give satisfactory results due to its mechanical weakness.
Finally, they came to the conclusion to use a high resolution absolute encoder suitable for heavy duty applications.
- Due to the required robustness, a hollow shaft absolute encoder model ASSH 60 K-16 / 50P with corresponding torque bracket was chosen.
- The SSI interface with a resolution of 16 bit provides highly accurate signals for the thickness control.
- At the customer‘s request, the Hübner Giessen engineering department helped in the design of the mounting materials, which were produced by themself.
After: Hollow shaft absolute encoder type ASSH 60 K-16 / 50Pwith torque bracket (directly mounted)
Products and Accessories
Other Solutions in Hot Rolling Mills – Roughing Mills