The ERC 40 Series of electronic position switches from Johannes Hubner Giessen are the ideal solution for heavy-duty applications demanding the highest level of precision, user friendliness and reliability. These devices make it possible to monitor both position and limit switching point across the complete position range with utmost precision.
The ERC 40 Series is reliable, comfortable, flexible and safe.
Replacing mechanical cam limit switches on cranes without PLC
Pilger mill in tube rolling mills - hot and cold pipe detection
- Position monitoring – also without PLC
- Replacement for discontinued cam limit switches
- Higher positioning accuracy
- Suitable for 1:1 replacement
Before: Mechanical cam limit switch.
- Some mechanical cam limit switches deployed in cranes or in conjunction with an obsolete PLC have either been discontinued or the devices cannot be replaced for other reasons. In that case a solution is required that updates the position switches on the crane to a state-of-the-art technology – without extra construction effort.
After: The electronic position switch ERC 40 from Hübner Giessen as a 1:1 replacement solution.
With the electronic position switch ERC 40 from Hübner Giessen the user is now able to program the high precison switching points via software. The programming is easy and quick. At the same time, the values remain permanently in the system and cannot be affected by shock and vibration.
Other advantages are:
- Real switches up to 230 V and 0.5 A – existing cables can be kept most of the time
- Use the latest technology without converting to a (new) PLC at the same time
The ERC 40 offers a suitable replacement system for many cranes and installation situations. This enables more flexibility, higher accuracy and less spare parts.
Products and Accessories
Case Study Number
- The increasing flexibility of production lines requires a high adaptability of sensors. Continually changing object geometries, different temperatures and very high radiation or surrounding temperatures are no rarity.
- In a pilger mill those rough conditions can be found, among others in the production of seemless steel pipes. The raw steel blocks, each weighing a few tons are heated up first in a round oven at a temperature of 1300 °C.
- After descaling of the surface, the steel block is prepunched in a hole press with a strength from a converted 2000 t. In the next sloping rolling mill the growing pipe rotates between two rollers that are positioned at an angle to each other. The punching is widened to the size of the mandrel diameter.
Previous solution / Competitor product
- The sensor that was installed at this application is the HMD OKA 2038.38 G with tube OL 19.
- The signal of the infrared sensors controls the movement of centering device and abutment. The point of view is restricted by the tube and prevents disturbances by steam in the cooling phase.
- An optimum adaptation to the operating conditions is given due to the adjustable response temperature. The HMD with self-learning response temperature (Auto-Teach function) is suited to continually changing conditions.
- The compact sensor with a stainless steel housing can withstand surrounding temperatures of up to 75° C. The use of a cooling jacket raises this up to 200° C.
- Alternatively sensors with fibre optic cables are available which permit an application at ambient temperatures up to 600° C without cooling.
- High temperature stability
- Recognition of hot objects at big distances
- Self adjustment with Auto-Teach or step switch for the response temperature
Product Part number
- OKA 2038.38 G
- Piros swivel stand HM2
- Tube OL 19
- Pilot light unit (for alignment) DAK 308 + OL 26
- Different cable lengths (e.g. 15 m)
compared to previous solution or competition
Other Solutions in Hot Rolling Mills – Roughing Mills